Sunday, August 4, 2013

DIY Napkins Tutorial

This is totally non-school related, but good to blog about none-the-less :)
Is there anyone else out there who uses cloth napkins? For whatever reason it seems that they just aren't used anymore. Growing up we always used cloth napkins. I think I can remember about three times {if that!} when we used paper napkins. To me, cloth napkins were "normal." I thought everyone used them. But when my friends ate supper at our house they all seemed confused and a bit skeptical of using pretty-printed fabric to wipe their mouths. 

There are many good reasons to use cloth napkins and I applaud anyone who uses them. 
1. Economical: For my husband & I, paper napkins would cost about $40/year. That's assuming we would use 1 napkin each for breakfast, lunch, & dinner. Obviously if you have children the number is going to increase. Saving $40 might not be a big deal to some people, but for my family a penny saved is a penny earned! 
2. Environmentally Friendly: Cloth napkins are reusable. Simply wash, dry, fold, and use. 
3. Easy on the Eyes: Adding napkins can add a lot to your table-scape! {uh oh, there's the Sandra Lee jargon comin' out} Seriously though, how adorable are these?? 
I promise I'm not one of those soap-box people who is trying to convince you to use cloth napkins. In fact, I'm just the opposite. Usually I'm the one who smiles & nods in order to prevent an argument, haha! I really do understand why people don't use them. The purpose of this tutorial is to show you how easy, affordable, & fun it is to make cloth napkins for your family. So if you've ever thought about making them, but were unsure of where/how to start, this is for you :)

Step 1: Gather Your Equipment
Not pictured is an ironing board, sewing machine, and thread. You'll need those too :)
Step 2: Measure & Cut
1 yard of fabric will make {4} 16x16" napkins. I picked up this fun print on clearance at Hobby Lobby for $3! For 16x16" napkins, measure and cut 18x18" squares. {You want a 1" seam allowance on each side of your napkin for hemming.} Depending on how much fabric you have, you may decide on bigger napkins. However big/small you want them to be, add an inch on each side. Make sense?

Step 3: Hem & Pin
Now that your squares are cut, lay them on the ironing board, pretty side down. On one side, fold the fabric over 1/4" and press with your iron. Then on the same side, fold it another 1/4" and press again. That should make a total of 1/2" folded. 
Pin the fold in the middle to hold it in place. Sorry for the microscopic picture. I should've taken the picture from the other side to show you, but hopefully this makes sense!
Do the same thing for all 4 sides. Pin each corner to hold those in place, too! Measure your napkins to make sure they are 16x16".

Step 4: Cutting Corners {literally, not figuratively}.

Unpin one of the corners and cut about 1/2" off, like in the picture below.
Fold the cut corner about 1/4" inward.
 Now refold the left side on the seam that was created from ironing. 
And refold the right side so it creates a clean edge. Pin it back in place.
Sewing your corners like I did is optional. I prefer to do it this way because it prevents the fabric rom fraying and has a clean, professional look when it's complete. That's probably the toughest part of this project, but it's super easy once you get the hang of it.

Step 5: Sewing
Take your first napkin to the sewing machine and begin making a straight stitch down the fold, removing pins along the way.
Use the hem of your fabric and the presser foot as a guide. This will help create a straight line.
When it's done your sides & corners should look like this.
Cut any excess string from where you started/stopped sewing. There ya go! Four beautiful & reusable napkins for $3. My husband and I are still using napkins that I made a year ago, so these will last a while!
If you have any questions or need further details, please email me at contemporarysouthteacher@gmail.com. My button is on the sidebar. Happy sewing!

post signature

4 comments:

  1. Thank you so much for posting this! I bought some beautiful fabric on clearance and now can't wait to make these! Your blog is my favorite! <3!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You've convinced me! Now I have another sewing project in my queue!

    Nicci
    Chalet RĂ©

    ReplyDelete